Practitioner: Julia Behrens
I am a qualified masseur in holistic massage with 12 years experience. I use a wide variety of techniques many of which have their roots in the Swedish system. I also use massage as part of my treatment when using herbal medicine and giving nutritional advice.
Massage can be defined as the systematic and manual manipulation of the body's soft tissue for therapeutic purposes promoting relaxation, health and well-being. A typical full-body massage session lasts for about one hour.
On the first visit clients may be asked a number of questions concerning general well-being, medical conditions and injuries that the therapist should know about, in order to determine if there are any contra-indications (physical conditions that would prohibit or limit a massage treatment).
Here are a number of benefits of massage:
- Massage can help improve joint mobility
- It helps to break down scar tissue and decrease inflammation and in so doing help to restore the range of motion to stiff joints.
- Massage can improve muscle tone, elasticity and balance, reducing the physical stress placed on bones and joints.
- Massage relieves muscular stiffness, tightness, and spasms.
- Massage also increases blood flow and improves circulation by bringing more oxygen and nutrients into the muscle. This reduces muscle fatigue and soreness.
It promotes rapid removal of toxins and waste products from the muscle.
Massage improves circulation by removing waste products, dilating blood vessels` and by mechanically assisting venous flow back to the heart. The technique can also help with improving the circulation to the skin, encouraging nutrients and cell regeneration.
The massage also helps improve fluid retention, lymphatic drainage and strengthen the immune system by increasing white blood cells thus promoting well being and good health.
Massage an also help with digestive problems increasing peristalsis helping to relieve constipation, colic and gas. Regular massage can not only reduce the stresses of everyday life by relaxing both mind and body but the physical manipulation helps the body release endorphins which helps elevate ones mood, leaving the client a sense of wholeness.